Written and compiled by Fred Jaicks
Weather is sometimes as simple as rain drops falling into your palm or on your umbrella canvas, but it can also be complex and scary. Air can form tornado funnels whirling through the sky. We need the different elements of weather – rain, snow, hail, ice, and others – to support our life here on Earth. It is fun to learn about weather and the ways it affects people according to where they live. Children in other countries have different weather conditions. Some rarely see snow, while others may live in a place where it might rain for long periods of time. No matter where you live, weather is all around you. You can watch, learn and experience it every day.
What Is Weather?
- Weather Facts – Learn about weather.
- Define Weather – Play the Weather Game and learn to define weather.
- Weather Wiz Kids – Find out cool things about weather.
- What is Weather? – Simple explanation of weather.
- Weather for Kids – A kids’ page all about the weather and weather related resources.
- Weather in Your Classroom: Weather resources perfect for students to take a look at.
Science of Weather
- Atmospheric Scientists – Basic overview of atmospheric scientists and their jobs.
- Cloud Seeding – Can scientists make rain?
- Meteorology – Some great weather lesson plans for teachers to utilize.
- Weather Balloons – Tools of the weather scientist.
- Weather Stations – Build your own weather station and practice being an atmospheric scientist.
- Weather Scientists – Careers in meteorology.
Geography’s Role in Weather
- An Inconvenient Geography – Analysis of geography and climate change relations.
- Geography and Climate Change – Information about how climate change affects agriculture.
- Geography and Global Warming – Click on the interactive map to learn how geography and global warming are connected.
- Geography Impacts Weather – Explanation of the connection between geography and weather.
- Geography and Weather – Find out how geography affects weather.
- LA Weather – Useful links to pages about weather in Los Angeles and the rest of the United States.
- Forecasting – The tools of the trade.
- Forecasting Hurricanes – Try your hand at forecasting a hurricane.
- Mayan Majix – Links about several different topics as studied by the Mayans.
- Weather Education – Weather resources, offices and data.
- Predict-o-Matic – Use the predict-o-meter to forecast future weather.
- Umbrella – If you suspect it will rain, don’t forget to pack your umbrella.
- Weather Forecasting – Basic overview of how forecasting is done.
- Web Weather for Kids – Learn to be a weather forecaster.
- Ask an Expert – Get answers to climate change questions.
- Climate and Global Change – Extensive information about climate change, global warming and other weather topics.
- Climate Change – What is climate and can it be changed?
- Global Warming and Penguins – Report on how global warming impacts penguin populations.
- Mercury Rising – Take a virtual ten day expedition to Monteverde Cloud Forest in Costa Rica.
- Unite for Climate – Online resources related to climate change.
- Disaster Area – Interactive tools teach about severe weather related disasters.
- Hurricane Storm Science – What is it like inside a hurricane?
- Playtime for Kids – Interactive way to learn about extreme weather.
- Tsunami – Complete information on dangerous tsunamis.
- World Tornado Records – List of the world’s deadliest tornadoes.